Each city has its best. In this regard, Opava is not an exception – it boasts a variety of uniqueness and exceptionalities that are unprecedented not only within the region, but also within the Czech Republic and even Central Europe. On this website, you can find at least some buildings, institutions, trees or interests that will certainly not escape your attention regardless of whether you are visiting Opava for one day or if you are a local native.
The Oldest Museum in Central Europe(The SilesianProvincialMuseum)
A history of the museum in Opava, and thus also in Central Europe, reaches back to 1814 to the opening of the Grammar School Museum where the tradition of the Silesian Provincial Museum (Slezské zemské muzeum) continues today. The merit for the birth of the museum goes in particular to Faustin Ens, a professor at the State Grammar School in Opava, Franz Mückush, a governor, and Josef Jan Schössler, a burgomaster of Opava. Just to give some perspective, a history of the Moravian Provincial Museum in Brno dates back to 1817 and the history of the National Museum in Prague starts in 1818. Currently, the SilesianProvincialMuseum administers 6 important objects: in addition to the HistoricalExhibitionBuilding, it is also the Nový Dvůr Arboretum in Stěbořice, the Second World War National Memorial, the Petr Bezruč Memorial, the Hlučín-Darkovičky Czechoslovak Fortification Complex and the Petr Bezruč Challet. Each of these premises offers not only a permanent exposition, but also thematic exhibitions. The museum also owns the largest collection of silesiaca, i.e. documents and books concerning Silesia. At the same time, it is the only institution of its kind that creates and introduces a comprehensive body of knowledge on Czech Silesia.
The Solar System Model in Full Scale
The scale of the Solar System Model in Opava is 1: 627 000 000. However, it does not mean that it is a desktop model; in fact, it is so big that Pluto’s distance (at the time of creation of the model still considered a planet) from the Sun is more than 9 kilometres and its size is less than 4 mm. On the contrary, a model of the Sun, known as the Sphere on the Upper Square, has the diameter of over 2 meters.
The Largest Preserved Example of Silesian Gothic (The Concathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary)
The Concathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary is currently a massive three-aisle church with two towers, whose foundations were laid down in the 14th century. Since 1995, the church has boasted a title of the National Cultural Monument. The origin of the church is connected to the Knights of Teutonic Order. The construction of the church probably began in 1204. The church is an example of Silesian Gothic which is, among others, characterized by use of red burnt bricks. The church is considered the largest building of Silesian brick Gothic in the CzechRepublic and it is a landmark of the city’s historical centre. The 102-meter high south tower is the highest tower in Silesia.
The Oldest Multicultural Festival in the Czech Republic(Bezruč Opava)
The Bezruč Opava Festival has been continuously held in the city since 1958. During its existence, the festival has undergone many changes and today it offers a wide variety of all kinds of art, from literature through theatre and film to music. The festival takes place throughout most of September and offers dozens of programmes that reflect the theme of the year.
The Most Beautiful Railway Station in the Czech Republic in 2012 (The Opava East Railway Station)
A building of the Opava Východ (Opava East) Railway Station from 1851 was awarded the Most Beautiful Railway Station in the Czech Republic, selected by public voting appreciating not only the overall reconstruction of the building, but especially the preservation of original interior paintings. After all, the Opava Východ Railway Station is the first thing seen by visitors in case they decide to take a comfortable journey by train from nearby Ostrava.
The Oldest Department Store in American Style (Breda&Weinstein)
The Breda&Weinstein department store was built in the years 1927-1928 according to the design of a Viennese architect Leopold Bauer. It was the first modern department store of its kind in Czechoslovakia that was inspired by contemporary American architecture. The building has five aboveground and two underground floors. The interior is dominated by a majestic dome. At present, the department store is in private hands and deteriorates. In 2012, the famous trademark was followed up by a new department house that grew in close proximity to the original Breda, at the site of a former brewery.