History

  • 1195 - the earliest known written reference to Opava
  • 1224 - Opava is granted town status
  • 1281 - Opava is established as the seat of the Opavian principality. In 1269 the Czech king Přemysl Otakar II rendered the Opava region to his son Mikuláš I as a compensation for his exclusion from the succession to the throne. In 1281 Opava became Mikuláš’s seat.
  • 1465 - The Opava region becomes a fief of the sons of the Hussite King George of Poděbrady, in particular duke Viktorin
  • 1485-1526 - reign of the Hungarians in the Opava region
  • 1648 - after the thirty years’ war had finished, many Czech citizens were forced to leave the then Evangelistic Opava. The town was re-Catholicised. An influx of German inhabitants resulted in an oppression of the Czech community.
  • 1742 - Silesia is divided between Prussia and Austria. Opava becomes the capital of the Austrian Silesia and the seat of the Royal authority
  • 1820 - Congress of the Holy Alliance takes place in Opava after the defeat of Napoleon. The Russian czar, the Prussian king, the Austrian emperor, and representatives of England and France conferred about the future configuration of Europe.
  • 1854-1928 - Opava becomes a seat of The Silesian Provincial Government
  • 1862 - seat of The Provincial Silesian Parliament till 1918
  • 1866 - Opava becomes a statutory town with a municipal government
  • 1918 - From 29th October to 20th December Opava was a seat of a province called Sudetenland. After occupation of Opava by the Czech army, the power was transferred on the authorities of the newly formed Czechoslovak Republic.
  • 1918-1938 - Opava is a part of Czechoslovakia
  • 1928 - Silesia as a country ceases to exist, Opava loses numerous advantages connected with the position of a provincial capital
  • 1938-1945 - During World War II Opava is attached to Germany as a part of Sudetenland. On 22nd April 1945 - the town is liberated by the Red Army (the USSR army). Opava was one of the most damaged towns in the Czechoslovakia.
  • 1976 - integration of surrounding villages into Opava
  • 1991 - founding of the Silesian University
  • 1997 - signing of the declaration of the founding of the Euroregion Silesia
  • 1997 - Opava is affected by destructive floods
  • 2000 - the Belgian king visits Opava
  • 2003 - a Multi-purpose Sports Hall opened in the Municipal Gardens
  • 2004 - the reconstruction of the Lower Square (Dolní náměstí)
  • 2006 - the reconstruction of the Liberators‘ Square (náměstí Osvoboditelů)