Town zoning - urban districts
The inner town is not zoned into town districts, it is administered directly by the town council and office. This part of town includes:
- location Město (cadastral area Opava-Město)
- majority share of location Město (cadastral area Opava-Předměstí) except the basic settlement unit Karlovec
- location Kateřinky (cadastral area Kateřinky u Opavy)
- location and cadastral area Kylešovice
- majority share of location Jaktař (except the basic settlement unit Vávrovická comprising four semi-detached houses
The suburban parts of town are zoned into eight autonomous parts:
- Komárov (location Komárov in the cadastral area Komárov u Opavy except the basic settlement unit Komárovské Chaloupky)
- Malé Hoštice (location and cadastral area Malé Hoštice)
- Milostovice (location and cadastral area Milostovice)
- Podvihov (cadastral area Podvihov and a part of the cadastral area Komárov u Opavy – Komárovské Chaloupky)
- Suché Lazce (location and cadastral area Suché Lazce)
- Vávrovice (location Vávrovice in the cadastral area Vávrovice, Držkovice, Palhanec, and the basic settlement unit Karlovec) (a part of the location Předměstí in the cadastral area Opava-Předměstí) and the basic settlement unit Vávrovická (four semi-detached houses in the location and cadastral area Jaktař)
- Vlaštovičky (location Vlaštovičky in the cadastral area Vlaštovičky and Jarkovice)
- Zlatníky (location and cadastral area Zlatníky u Opavy)
The urban district Komárov lies south-east of the town centre, on the right bank of the river Opava. The first written reference dates to 1330. Komárov was an autonomous village until 1975 when it was added to Opava. Komárov has a population of more than 1,300 people.
The first setllement in the area of Malé Hoštice dates back to the Neolithic Age. Archeological excavations uncovered pottery and remains of farming cultures dating to 6,000 years BC and remains of urnfield culture (1,300 BC) with a burial site. The oldest existing building in the village is a chapel from 1656 dedicated to John of Nepomuk. In the centre of Hoštice there is the Chapel of Virgin Mary of Opava, which was consecrated in September 1888. A painting of Virgin Mary of Opava by an unknown Baroque painter from the 18th century adorns the walls.
In 1945 Malé Hoštice and Pusté Jakartovice fell within the Opava District. On 1st February 1970 Malé Hoštice was added Opava. The village has a population of over 1,800 people.
The first reference to Milostovice dates back to 1255. Originally it was a small exclusively Czech farming village. In 1899 a cooperative distillery was established there, but at the end of the 20th century it closed down. In 1930 the village was electrified, three years later a memorial commemorating Milostovice’s famous native Vincenc Prasek was erected. The village has a population of 270 people.
Podvihov lies south-east of Opava, roughly 8.5 km from the town centre. The village has a population of 500 people.
Suché Lazce was first mentioned in 1377 in the deed dividing the Principality of Opava. Suché Lazce lies on both borders of Silesia and the so called Moravian enclaves in Silesia. The village became a part of Opava on 1st January 1979. It was also the date when the eastern part of Přerovec, which until then belonged to Nové Sedlice, was added to Opava. More than 1,000 people live in Suché Lazce.
Vávrovice is a part of town comprising three villages – Vávrovice, Držkovice, and Palhanec. Vávrovice lies about 5.5 km north-east from the centre of Opava on the right bank of the river Opava, which in the village marks a border with Poland. The Polish counterpart of Vávrovice is Wiechowice (Vehovice in Czech). A railway line from Olomouc to Opave runs through Vávrovice. The village has a population of a little under 1,000 people.
The urban district Vlaštovičky historically belongs to the so called Moravian enclaves in Silesia. The first reference to Vlaštovičky dates to 1230. Vlaštovičky was added to Opava in 1976. In the village there is a sheltered workshop run by Opava Charity, which provides jobs for the blind, visually impaired, and mentally disabled. The village has a population of about 400 people.
Zlatníky was first mentioned in 1256 when King Ottokar II confirmed the village as a property of the monastery in Velehrad. The farmstead Zlatníky later belonged to the family Vlk of Konecchlumě or Moš of Bittendorf. Zlatníky then shared its history with the manor Stěbořice. The village became a part of Opava in 1976. Today the autonomous urban district has a population of 300 people.